We all understand that food safety is of the utmost importance. We need to be able to trust that the food we consume hasn’t been tampered with in any way and that it’s safe for us and our families to eat.
One man has recalled his horror at finding a syringe part inside a can of half-eaten peaches he had bought from Coles.
Dave McKell from Perth, Australia had been eating Gold Reef canned peaches from the same can on top of his Weet-Bix every morning for the past two weeks before seeing the syringe plunger floating in the syrup.
He says that his breakfast ritual has now been ruined by the disturbing discovery.
In addition, it has also sparked health fears for McKell, who is set to undergo blood tests in the coming days to ensure he does not have a serious illness.
“I saw the top and I was like, ‘What’s that white thing on top,’ and found the whole butt sitting there,” he told Nine News.
McKell claimed to have consumed the fruits from the same can for two weeks. He said they had been bought from Greenwood Village Coles store in Perth’s north.
The label on the product also stated that it was packed in South Africa using local ingredients. The 825g tin sells for $3 at Coles stores nationwide.
McKell said he notified Coles staff immediately but was met with resistance.
“I’d like to see it get off the shelves for starters,” he remarked.
According to McKell, the staff wanted to take the can as proof of the allegation and asked him to fill out an incident report. He would not, however, hand over the can.
“I’m a bit turned off by peaches now. I might go pears,” he added.
In response, a Coles spokesman said that such an incident has never happened before with this supplier, and apologized to McKell for his experience.
The representative said: “We’re taking this matter very seriously and will be investigating with our supplier.”
As disturbing as this story is, it does serve as an important reminder that we all need to be vigilant about what we’re consuming- whether we’ve bought it ourselves or someone else has prepared it for us (such as in a restaurant).
Though this certainly does raise questions. Most canned peaches are only edible for 5 to 7 days after opening, but he claims to have eaten them for two weeks.
And we all know you need to store food in a different container after opening a can (not in the can itself). Not that we’re the authority on canned peaches! But it does sound a bit odd, eh?
If he plans to take this further, he’d be looking at using the historic case of Donoghue v Stevenson which formed the foundation of the modern law of negligence. In that case, a snail was found in a can of ginger beer. Gross!