Parents abused twin infants causing one to die, the other to suffer serious injuries: Cops


Quentin Smith and Hannah Jones

Quentin Smith and Hannah Jones are facing aggravated child abuse charges after one of their twin 3-month infants died while the other was seriously injured, according to police in Florida. (Brevard County Sheriff’s Office)

Two Florida parents are behind bars after their alleged abuse caused one infant girl to die and another to suffer severe injuries, the Cocoa Police Department said.

Quentin Smith and Hannah Jones were arrested on charges of aggravated child abuse and child neglect with great bodily harm. Jones faces an additional charge of battery domestic violence while Smith faces a failure to report charge. The infants were 3-month-old twins, reported Orlando CBS affiliate WKMG. Additional charges are expected, WKMG reported.

According to a probable cause arrest affidavit reviewed by Law&Crime, officers were called to a home in reference to an unresponsive infant around 11 a.m. Thursday. The child was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead. Photographs showed the infant had multiple circular bruises to the face, head and body. In addition there were also bruises to the upper back and left rib area, along with swelling to the left arm, the affidavit said.

The surviving twin also had visible injuries to her face and head. There was also a large bite imprint near her buttocks, according to the affidavit.

Both parents were taken to the Cocoa Police Department for interviews. Jones said both she and Smith woke up and took a shower. After the shower, she told detectives she went to check on the babies and found one of them unresponsive and “on her stomach,” the affidavit said.

Jones first told detectives that the baby girls “constantly bang their heads against the lining of the bassinet.” But she later said that Smith used his hands to “squeeze together” the face of the children in an attempt to feed them. She also said Smith “bites” the children and on one occasion picked up the deceased infant by the arm which may have caused the swelling. Jones admitted to knowing about the injuries but never reporting them to a doctor or law enforcement, the affidavit said.

In an interview with detectives, Smith said he woke up and fed the children and placed them in the bassinet. He took a shower and went to get some rice because Jones’ cell phone fell in the water. Smith then heard Jones say she needed help because one of the twins was unresponsive. They performed CPR on the victim until paramedics arrived. When asked by investigators about the injuries to the girl, Smith admitted to biting the infant multiple times which led to the bruises.

He said Jones asked him to stop biting both victims but he continued to do so. The last time he had bitten the infants was about a week prior, he told detectives. He also said he woke up the morning of Sept. 29 when he woke up and was frustrated and yanked the victim by the shoulder and placed her on the bed, the affidavit said. He also said he shook the baby “a few months ago” to get her to be quiet.

“Mr. Smith stated that Ms. Jones, on multiple occasions the last two months, grabbed both victim 1 and victim 2 by the leg, upside down, in a careless and unsafe manner, which seemingly dangling the victims,” the affidavit said.

Smith and Jones are in jail without bond.

Have a tip we should know? [email protected]


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *